The GameBlast event for SpecialEffect is getting ever closer, and we’re encouraging everyone to join in. Find out what the Gamely Giving team have been up to in preparation.
At the end of the summer, we announced that we’re continuing our support of SpecialEffect. This awesome charity aims to put fun and inclusion back into the lives of those with physical disabilities by helping them play video games, using technology ranging from modified joypads to eye-control systems. It might sound like a small thing but levelling the playing field in this way has a profoundly positive impact on therapy, confidence and rehabilitation – and what’s more, the team do all of this amazing work free of charge.
That’s why we’re taking part in the next GameBlast event in February 2016 and this time around, we’re going big. Not only are we aiming to complete a full-on forty-eight hour challenge instead of the usual twenty-four hour period with as big a group as possible, we’re arranging several other events to help spread awareness of the charity’s work. If you like the sound of playing video games, meeting some lovely new people and supporting a worthwhile cause, please read on to find out how you can get involved.
With Gamely Giving already boasting eleven members, we’re going to be taking turns to stream to a central Twitch channel in order to cover the entire forty-eight hour marathon period. That means that we’ll need to stream a little over four hours each; but with even more members we can look at reducing that time, playing multiplayer games or introducing some snazzy editing to run multiple streams side-by-side. We’ll shortly be finalising the set-up but there’s still time to sign up: you can join in from the comfort of your own home and have the perfect excuse to play video games, while feeling all warm and fuzzy inside at knowing you’re helping an extremely worthwhile cause.
To increase our chances of hitting our £1,000 fundraising target, we’re organising a number of competitions to take place during the GameBlast event so our lovely viewers get the opportunity to win some excellent video games. Have you received a Steam key for an unwanted title or have a Humble Bundle lying around that you’re willing to donate? Then we’d be really grateful if you’d consider sending them our way using the email address at the bottom of this article, and we can put them to a good cause by using them as a prize in one of our contests.
It’s not just through video games that we’re looking to support SpecialEffect: several Gamely Giving members are organising other events for the charity also. This includes a pub quiz taking place later on this month, with all money raised from the entry fee going straight to SpecialEffect. We’ll be sure to include photographs and possibly a video from the night in our December update.
A couple of Gamely Giving members organised a small second-hand book sale in their workplace last month, managing to raise a total of £30.11. Every bit helps and it has kicked off our journey towards £1,000 for the charity!
The following gorgeous people have already signed up to be a part of the Gamely Giving team:
Whether you’re a blogger, YouTuber, streamer, developer or a gamer who wants to take part in one awesome weekend from 26 to 28 February 2015, everyone is welcome to be a member of Gamely Giving. If you’re interested in joining, please get in touch using the details below and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.
The sponsorship raised through the GameBlast event will help SpecialEffect change the lives of many more people by bringing the fun and inclusion of gaming back. It will let them visit individuals to find out exactly what they want to play and then match, modify or create equipment to lend to them at no cost. And the money won’t be wasted: last year around 90% of donations when directly to the charity’s frontline work, while the other 10% kept them running so they could continue doing what they do best.
If you’re interested in joining our group, please get in touch using the following details. We’ll also publish regular updates on Gamely Giving’s progress over the next couple of months – with the next coming at the beginning of December – so keep an eye out on the site.
If you’d like to find out more about SpecialEffect, you can take a look at our interview with Mark Saville or head over to their website. You can also get in touch with Mark, Nick and Barry at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01608 810 055.