With less than a month to go, team Gamely Giving have been busy preparing for GameBlast 2016. Read on to find out how you can support the amazing charity that is SpecialEffect.
SpecialEffect is an awesome charity that aims to put fun and inclusion back into the lives of those with physical disabilities by helping them play video games, using technology ranging from modified joypads to eye-control systems. Levelling the playing field has a profoundly positive impact on therapy, rehabilitation and confidence – and what’s more, they do all of this work free of charge.
That’s why we’ve formed team Gamely Giving with friends and other video game journalists, and are taking part in a number of events to support the organisation throughout 2016. This includes the upcoming GameBlast at the end of February during which we’re aiming to complete a full-on forty-eight hour gaming marathon from 26 February 2016.
|GameBlast 16||From 13:00 GMT on Saturday, 26 February 2016|
|13:00||Nathan||In Uncharted territory|
|09:00||Ben & Isaac||Good morning GameBlast|
|14:00||Pete & Ethan||Boys’ hour|
|05:00||Kevin||The Geek Knight Returns|
|10:00||Gamely Giving||Explosive personalities|
A full schedule, including the games we’re going to be playing, can be found here.
|Giveaways||From 01 to 28 February 2016|
A number of very kind developers – including Flix Interactive, Fictiorama Studios and Green Man Loaded – have donated game keys so stay tuned throughout the month for the chance to win yourself some awesome titles. We have three types of giveaways running:
|Giveaway||How to enter|
|First donations||Be one of the first 15 people to make a donation – regardless of the amount – to SpecialEffect via the JustGiving page for Gamely Giving|
|Highest donations||Make one of the highest 15 donations via the JustGiving page for the team by the end of the GameBlast event|
|Hourly stream giveaways||Follow the Twitter account for Gamely Giving and retweet, or follow the Twitch channel – and you’ll be entered into hourly giveaways throughout GameBlast|
All donations received will go straight to SpecialEffect. Winners will be contacted with their game keys throughout week commencing 29 February 2016, and a list of the games up for grabs can be found here.
|Cosplay comp||From 17:00 GMT on Saturday, 13 February 2016|
The gorgeous GeekOut South-West will be running a cosplay competition in honour of SpecialEffect in Bristol on Saturday, 13 February 2016. Sign yourself up and start planning your outfit as you’ll be in with a chance of winning a bespoke cosplay or LARP costume (minus props) made by the lovely team at Boni d’Age Costumes.
An entry fee of £2 will be charged and all of the proceeds will go to the charity.
|British 10k||From 09:00 GMT on Sunday, 10 July 2016|
If you fancy joining them, sign up through this dedicated page to receive a discount off of the usual entry fee.
The sponsorship raised through the events above will help SpecialEffect change the lives of many more people by reintroducing the fun and inclusion of gaming. It will let them visit individuals to find out exactly what they want to play and then match, modify, or create equipment to lend to them at no cost. And the money won’t be wasted: last year around 90% of donations went directly to the charity’s frontline work, while the other 10% kept them running so they could continue doing what they do best.
They really do deserve all the support they can get and you can help in several ways:
|Donate||JustGiving||You can sponsor the Gamely Giving team for any of the events listed above through our JustGiving page – all donations will go to SpecialEffect|
|Watch||Twitch||Join our stream from 13:00 GMT on 26 February 2016, and be in with a chance of winning some great video games by entering the competitions above|
|Tweet||Follow the Gamely Giving team on Twitter to keep up-to-date with our progress – and possibly some videos of cats|
|Contact||Drop us a line if you’d like to get involved with the team or any of our events|
|Shout||Word of mouth||Help us spread the word to raise awareness of the amazing charity that is SpecialEffect!|
If you’d like to find out more about the charity, please take a look at our interview with Mark Saville or head over to their website. You can also get in touch with Mark, Nick and Barry at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 01608 810 055.
Thank you for your support!